Help Wanted!

It is time, once again, to compile the monthly menu. These last few months I have found some great recipes, but it is time consuming pulling out the cookbook and making an elaborate recipe with lots of steps and ingredients every night. What do you make for dinner on a regular basis? Or do you have a favorite summer recipe that doesn’t heat up the house? I am looking for some basic meals for our busy summer. Crock-pot recipes are fine too, just as long as the prep time is short. Friday is grocery day, so PLEASE get me your ideas quick! Thanks in advance!

14 I love comments!!:

michelle June 26, 2007 at 10:37 AM  

One of our favorite is chicken fahitas.But with summer her I get Brian to use the barbquer as much as possible.You can make anything on the bar-q,but I like chicken the best.Or for fathers day we did shishkabobs.We put chicken ,little red potoatoes,whole mushrooms,bell pepper,onoins,and shrimp on them and on some we put steak instead of chicken,they were awsome.

Marisela June 26, 2007 at 3:53 PM  

Here is a quick recipe I use quite often:
Ingredients:
2 pieces of bread
1 slice of ham
1 slice of cheese (optional)
1 leaf of lettuce

Directions:

Place ham, cheese, and lettuce on one piece of bread, and then top with second piece of bread, cut in half, and enjoy!

Hope this help you out...hehehe

Chantel H June 26, 2007 at 8:35 PM  

Michelle: That sounds so yummy, but I forgot to mention one small detail...we don't have a grill. Maybe we can have them at your house soon though?? Is Brian working this Sat?

Marisela: Oh Wow, that sounds great! Thanks so much for that little gem! Ha Ha

michelle June 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM  

Chantel ,I don't know if Brian is working saturday yet .He does not usually find out until thursday or friday.But you can still come down any time.If he not working at work I hope he is working alittle at home.We have not been getting much done on the addittion lately. Everbodies always wecome here tho..you know that.

Mrs.Martin June 27, 2007 at 8:17 AM  

This is what we have been doing this month with all the parties and bridal showers and company.

I prepare on Friday or Saturday for the rest of the week.

I cook 5-6 lb hamburger meat. I divide in half and season one half with italian seasonings and the other half with mexican seasonings.

Then I divide in half again, the mexican meat and add beans, refried or pintos to only one half.[not all the kids like beans]

So in the hamburger cooking, I will have 3 containers of hamburger meat, cooked up ahead of time for the week.

Then, if my budget allows, I will cook chicken breasts and season lightly with garlic and salt only, and store away. I get it back out for chicken fajitas or tacos or chicken salad or chicken sandwiches, so we are not just eating hamburger.

In other tupperware containers, I store away alot of shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese and keep on hand salsa and sour cream for the mexican mixtures. It is so easy to come home and make tacos, enchiladas and taco salad. I also have been keeping two avocados in the fridge, to make something fresh to go with it.

The italian mixture is for a large pot of spaghetti sauce and all my kids know how to make pasta and they will eat it for lunch as well.

Then, I like to mix it up with chicken salad, with easy sauces from the market, to make it asian or italian zesty. Or cut the chicken into easy chunks and put them into a hot pan with a very small amount of liquid {I use water] and chile powder and salt and salsa, to make for fajitas. Or we sometimes just make sandwiches with them, after toasting hoaggie bread, on an inside grill. I sometimes put my heavy cast iron skillet on top of the rolls to cook the meat and bread at the same time and it makes pretty grill marks on it.

Our diet has consisted largely of these meals this month, with high doses of left over fruit and veggie trays, from the parties I've over purchased for.

In short, I buy one large container of hamburger, one bag of frozen chicken breasts and 2 large cans of refried beans or pinto beans, for the week.

Good luck. This makes my family happy and we also stay on budget. I hope you find something that works for you.

Chantel H June 27, 2007 at 8:25 AM  

Teresa, Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time for all of that. There are some great ideas there especially since the heat is coming and I don't want to add to it with extended cooking times. To prepare several meals at once is a splendid idea! We jsut posted on each others blogs at the same time! Fun, Fun!

Trina June 27, 2007 at 8:29 AM  

Chantel we don't eat, we just drink. That makes things very affordable around here!

Sis. Lori P. June 27, 2007 at 8:45 AM  

Hi Chantel, Don't know if you remember me from Oregon or not, but I've been lurking on your blog! You are so cute with your monthly menu thing! I can so relate because I pour my heart into each menu and shopping list I make too! I've never lost a list, but I've gone to the store without it which is just as bad... But I have a suggestion if you haven't already found this resource. Have you ever gone to 30daygourmet.com ? It's all about freezer cooking and cooking ahead. They have a great website and newsletter each month and you can download a free version of a software program called Advantage Cooking. I tried it a long time ago and bought the program ($30). It's great! Sounds like it would be up your alley! Hope this helps you!

Cherrie June 27, 2007 at 3:40 PM  

You are cracking me up. My favorite recipe lately has been Taco Mayo ....we go there all the time. If I get to busy the drive thru is always open.

michelle June 28, 2007 at 5:14 AM  

chantel ,you asked about this weekend ...is there a possiblity you guys are coming down? hint

meNmykids June 28, 2007 at 8:33 AM  

We had Chicken Coleslaw Ramen salad (whatever that is called, you know what I mean) last night and everyone loved it.

Nadine June 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM  

Hi - I stopped by because of the award you received from Trina. Congratulations. Nice blog you have.

Chantel H July 5, 2007 at 7:58 AM  

Trina: It's no wonder Isaiah is eating us out of house and home, the poor boy never gets any food!! Actually, I've been surprised at his small appetite, maybe things are a little to gourmet for him here!

Sis. Lori: Well hello! Thank you so much for the website, I will definately check it out. Glad you're no longer a lurker:)

Cherrie: no taco mayos in this neck of the woods, but they do have a sonic down near trina now so when you are here this summer you can continue your addiction!

Michelle: As you know we came down this past weekend. What about you guys, still heading up here this weekend?

Gale: sounds like asian chicken salad to me. Yum!

Nadine: Thank you for stopping by come back soon!

Thanks so much for everyones great ideas, as wacky as some were, they were very entertaining!

michelle July 5, 2007 at 2:00 PM  

chantel ,as for coming up there that is the plan.But we have truck and suburban up for sale and a guy from Roseburg wants to look at suburban saturday afternoon if we still have it.If this happens then we may not make it up there ,but will go to Hillsboro for church sunday .and hope to see you at the Zoo .Will let you know if we are coming up .We really do want to see these extra cars tho.. you know what I mean. Don't need them.$ car are just to many.

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.