Internet Dangers

I have truly enjoyed having my blog and being able to keep in touch with so many loved ones. But, it is easy to forget that the things we write are here for all to see. I sometimes get caught up in someones blog and I'm not as careful as I should be about the information I give in my comment. This is an innocent mistake and we all make it from time to time. But, I've heard so many stories about strangers being able to track people down by the information they find on the Internet that I just wanted to remind us how careful we should be.

Here are a few things to think about:

  • Be as vague as possible about where people live. I live in Oregon.
  • I think we should follow suit with whoever's blog we are on. For instance, if the blogger hasn't mentioned their children's names we shouldn't either in our comments.
  • We are a tight knit group and sometimes we know when people will be on a trip. I think we should be careful not to mention when someone will be away from home, unless they mention it first.
  • We should also be careful about naming and giving out information about people who are not blogging.
  • I think we should leave last names off of comments and posts.

I am going to try to be more careful in the future. I am also going to go back through my blog and delete some old comments and posts that give a little more info than I want out here for all to see. I truly love getting comments, so please keep commenting, let's just all be a little more careful.

21 I love comments!!:

Cherrie March 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM  

I agree with you that we need to be so careful. I really do try to be careful, but we are human and make some errors at time. I sometimes feel that I give way to much info, but it is usually what is on my mind.

Jules March 19, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

I also agree! I know that other people besides our church look at these pages. I definately don't use last names or where I live. I just say somewhere in Oklahoma. We definately have to be very careful, especially if we have kids to protect. Good thing to post about Chantel! It reminds us to just stay alert of what we are doing.

meNmykids March 19, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

I agree, I sure hope that I've not crossed the line. There are real dangers from info. on the internet.I also think that pictures including other people should be only used with permission of all included. I have rethought many a post because of this, probably still made mistakes. Thanks for the reminder.

:.☂Raine☂.: March 19, 2008 at 2:16 PM  

I know you don't know me, but I've seen you post on some of the blogs I read. This was a very interesting post, and some of the same things I've thought about. Makes me wonder how much info I've put on the internet.. Thanks for reminding us.

marykathryn March 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Well unfortunately we DO live in a world where people are out only to hurt, harm, or just reek havoc in others lives so I agree that we need to be extra careful when we are putting a portion of our life up for all to see. I too try to simply follow suit on who's ever blog I am, I know I appreciate the same courtesy. It is a important reminder!

meNmykids March 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

You are so hard to please. I thought that the picture of Heidi would suffice. Sigh, I guess that I'll have to post on MY BEES.....

Trina March 19, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

I think that is an important post too. Following the lead of the blog that you are posting a comment on is super important. I sure hope I have done that in the past, but I will sure to be very careful. Everyone has different standards of what they feel comfortable with and we should respect their rules for their blogs and on our comments, for sure.

Shannon March 20, 2008 at 6:12 AM  

I am new to the blog world & I'm soooo glad you brought that up for me to consider!!! I will keep that close in thought when I am posting. Thank you for the info.

Sis. Lori P. March 20, 2008 at 8:08 AM  

This is why I refer to my children as Son #1, Daughter in law #2, Grandson #2, The Dad, etc. However, I have not known what to do when on another person's blog that uses people's names! What's the etiquette then? This post has given me lots to think about since my url is precarious! Trying to figure out how to change that right now. But I found an interesting video on Google Blogger which is right here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU2UU_zpcdU See what you think and if this helps?

Sis. Lori P. March 20, 2008 at 8:14 AM  

i figured it out...now my url is
http://firstbornfam.blogspot.com

I'll try and post it to anyone's blog that I've posted to so you can change it on your aggregator (how you find updates to my blog)

Thanks for the warning!

Marisela March 20, 2008 at 8:52 AM  

Good post! It is a great reminder. I think I am sometimes careless. I guess I really didn't think people who don't know me would really care about what I have to write about. But I know that really isn't the case. I will try to keep all this in mind from now on :)

Jules March 20, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

Lori, I watched that video and it was very helpful, thank you for telling us about it :)

melissa March 20, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

that is so true,its one reason i didnt really want to blog but i just decided i would be carefull about what i wrote

Tish March 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

I know what you mean about sometimes forgetting about the dangers out there. You may have noticed, but I took your advice and took people's last names off my blog list. The internet can be dangerous, but it can also be a great way to stay in touch. We just have to remember to be careful. Thanks for the reminder.

Skylene March 21, 2008 at 8:42 PM  

Wow that is a real thought provoker. Can anyone find out who you are by using you and your families first names??

Sabriena March 22, 2008 at 7:46 PM  

*Sigh*. If you insist.

Just kidding. I agree with you. I haven't been as careful as I maybe should have been either. I guess I'm going to have to delete Seth's last name off of that post that I have been too lazy to fix in the past. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Kalisha March 25, 2008 at 7:08 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sabriena March 27, 2008 at 12:35 PM  

Okay, I've went through my blog and taken off everything you suggested. I e-mailed you, and have asked you to tell several others my e-mail address... I don't want it on the internet! This is something very important, and I deem it necessary for you to help. PLEASE!!! I think that you will be willing, since you're the one who got me going, so I don't feel very guilty, only a little!

Nice run-on sentence, eh?

Anonymous March 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sabriena April 1, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

Hey, I've been going through everybody's blog posts, checking the comments. I've found a couple, I think, that I had to rewrite, but maybe they were just the ones on my blog? Anyway, I just stopped by your blog to ask if you are planning on posting anytime soon. (Is that too much information??? LOL.)

Anonymous April 2, 2008 at 3:38 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.