The cooking hum drums

In the past few months I have been getting very bored with my meals and when I mentioned this to my family they were too quick to agree. 4 oclock would roll around and I would scramble for something to cook, many times the same things like:
Meals-
fahitahs
tacos
homemade chicken soup
burritos

Sides-
green beans
baked potatoes
steamed rice
home made bread

My sister in law Gale started making a menu a few months back and she inspired me. I haven't planned a whole months worth of dinners yet, but I have done better than before.

Laurie, another sister in law, told me that a taste of home class was going to be in our area soon and this sparked my enthusiasm to make a BIG change. Years ago I subscribed to the taste of home magazine and I have liked every recipe I have tried from them, so I pulled out some of my old issues to help me in my vow to make a change. I had also gotten a new taste of home cookbook a few months back, but I hadn't put it to use yet. Between the cookbook and magazines I had many choices, butI chose only recipes that had ingredients I usually have on hand, with just a few exceptions if it looked really yummy. It has been about 2 weeks and my family is very happy. I have tried a variety of things like:

Meals-
meatloaf
fried fish
chicken stroganoff
beef brisket
pizza
stew (with left over beef brisket)
Curried chicken salad (lunch)
chicken soup with butternut squash and kale-made by Laurie (I have never liked butternut squash, but this soup is fantastic!!)

Sides-
seasoned oven potatoes
stuffed zuchinni
home made rolls
chicken curried rice
spanish rice
fried cabbage
zesty vegetable salad (zuchinni, tomatoes, avacadoes, onions, lemon juice, garlic, YUM)
steamed carrots

I have only tried one new dessert since we don't usually eat dessert. I took some peanutbutter oatmeal bars to a potluck on sunday. They were a huge hit, as were all the new recipes.

Last night we had fahitahs, and that's ok. We like fahitahs and I 'm not going to kick them out, we'll just have them once or twice a month instead of once a weak. I am very satisfied with the change I've made, my family is HAPPY, and it hasn't been alot of effort, just a little planning.

Friday night is the taste of home class and I can't wait to go and get more ideas. Thank you Gale and Laurie for giving that help and encouragement I needed.

6 I love comments!!:

meNmykids March 20, 2007 at 5:13 PM  

Yeah! You are very welcome! Take a notebook to the class as I want the low down on it. My goal on next months menu is to make it less expensive, yet still get a good variety. My family loves to have the evening meal posted on the fridge, they check it often. Glad that your guys are appreciating you.
Gale

Mrs.Martin March 21, 2007 at 9:30 AM  

Chantel I am very excited to see you on blogger! I love lists and half the time I use them, so half the time I am doing good. I love your blog name too. I hope you share recipes, homeschool ideas and pics often, really often. I could use them.

marykathryn March 21, 2007 at 12:48 PM  

So funny..When Rusty and I first got married my Grandma subscribed to Taste of Home mag. as a wedding gift and I was like, "Thanks a lot." (Spoiled I know) But when I got the actually mag. and sat down to skim through it I loved it!! I still have several of my favorite issues in the cabinet with my other cook books....
So if find something new in the class, do share!!

Trina March 21, 2007 at 9:59 PM  

I would have absolutley loved to have gone to a class like that with you. Maybe we can, if one comes up again, and you think it was worth the money and time. I hope you have fun, and that you come home with some more great ideas! Oh by the way....Den got a job today! So the move is very very soon.

Cherrie March 26, 2007 at 2:42 PM  

I love taste of home so much fun. Love your blog.

Trina March 26, 2007 at 4:15 PM  

I want a NEW post! I want a NEW post! lol Post already!

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.