Drivers Beware!!

Life is a journey. We have many twists and turns along our way. My son Andy just got his permit yesterday. This is a big change in our lives. In the last 24 hrs, I have spent 2 1/2 hours in the passengers side with him behind the wheel. Whew!! I feel tense all over.

I have kept my calm and only grabbed the wheel twice. My foot feels like I have a pulled muscle from trying to apply the brakes on my side. My right hand is tight from gripping the door on my side in fear of going off the road.

We did about an hour in a big empty parking lot practicing corners, parking, backing up, and parallel parking. It was great, he only hit about 10 imaginary cars. Next we hit side streets. At one point he had to cross main street. He stressed out a little then, because the car across the street waved him on, but there were cars coming(way back there, but hey better safe than sorry) so he wasn't sure what to do. Finally he listened to the guy across the street and went in front of the cars. It was totally safe, but I want to teach Andy to wait if he isn't comfortable, instead of feeling like he has to trust other drivers judgement. He drove to Uncle James and Aunt Gale's and was richly rewarded with wow's and cool about his permit and driving. He is feeling quite pleased with himself.

I am pleased with myself that I have been patient and willing to let him drive so much. I guess I am looking to the future, where I can hand most of my driving over to him because I don't really enjoy it and never have. But for now, if we can just get home safely from the library!

5 I love comments!!:

meNmykids March 28, 2007 at 2:50 PM  

Get good practise! I think I'll send one or two your way when the time comes. I know that driving is one of the all time stressers for me, either it will kill me, or my nerves will get a good hard edge. Andy looks like a natural behind the wheel to me!
Gale

Mrs.Martin March 28, 2007 at 3:43 PM  

We will congratulate him, if we see him when he flys out! As for the nervous parent syndrome, I disliked it. I had 2 learning to drive at the same time, cuz oldest delayed in getting permit. That was fun. I do not look forward to Lex but she also knows more than the other 2 did, cuz she critiques them ALL the time. I smiled when I read he got his permit, it doesn't seem possible that he is that age.
Post some recipes and menus too, if possible, that would be fun.

marykathryn March 28, 2007 at 10:06 PM  

OH MY!! That is funnny....
Just the other day Rusty let Jake (age 7) drive to the end of our road and even though he was sitting on Rusty's lap I STILL felt like I needed to grab the wheel...Teenagers, they are a whole new ball of stress huh?
I'm sure he will do great and they say practice makes perfect!! That is what they say anyway..hehe

Cherrie March 29, 2007 at 2:37 PM  

I love it that he is getting to drive. Can't wait to see him in action. I will tell Uncle Lee that he is needing practice. hehe Hopefully we will get to see him. Love your new blog.

Trina April 3, 2007 at 8:26 AM  

OH my....I dont know how I missed this post! I guess with all the packing and unpacking, who knows. Isaiah will be the scary one for me. River is so particular, and everything has to be just right. Isaiah used to tease River about driving like a grandpa all the time, so he has sent some red flags up to Den and I about NOT wanting to be a grandpa behind the wheel. UHHHHHOHHHH!!

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.