Dinner Delima

I have been having a tough time with dinner lately. 4 o'clock rolls around and I have no idea what I am fixing for dinner. It is rather frustrating at times. I used to make a monthly menu with about 20 meals on it and try to stick to that, however I find that I make pretty much the same meals so now I can go to my old menus for ideas. 4 o'clock is not a good time to find that I need to go to the store before dinner though, even with my handy list of meals to fix. Then I came across a great suggestion in my reliable Tightwad Gazette. She said that while she is doing the dinner dishes, she checks out her pantry and plans the next evenings meal. This sounds like it will work great. The theory is that you will use up what you have instead of running to the store for last minute purchases.

Today is my first time to try it. I am making Minestrone for dinner. We wanted this last night, but because I didn't have any canned beans, I couldn't make it at the last minute without a trip to the store, which I wasn't willing to make. I also didn't want to purchase canned beans when I have a surplus of dried ones. This morning I took just a few minutes to get some beans on for the soup tonight. About 4 o'clock I will take a few more minutes to get a fresh loaf of herb bread going in the bread maker.(it takes the bread maker under an hour from start to finish!!) As I am running errands today, I will pick up a few carrots to put in the soup. Everything will be in place to easily and calmly prepare a nice dinner, and while I wash dishes, repeat the cycle so that tomorrow nights dinner is also a calm affair, and so on....

8 I love comments!!:

JoAnn June 5, 2008 at 6:36 AM  

Great Idea! I think I will give it a try today.

Sylvia June 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

It sounds like that might work. I hope it works for you. Maybe I should try it. Dinner has been a real challenge for me lately. It is nice to read your blog.

Amber Lois June 5, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

That would be a good idea for me. But since there is really nothing in my cabinets as it is right now that might be hard. Let us just say that I need to go to store.

Sabriena June 5, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

Sounds like a good idea. Hope it works. Maybe we'll try it - but I'm leavin' that up ta Mom.

Sabriena June 5, 2008 at 4:21 PM  

P.S. Yes, I did purposefully write "ta" instead of "to".

Jules June 5, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

That sounds like a great idea. I know that I always end up with TON of items in my pantry that I don't use. It is a great idea to look through and plan meals like that. Thanks for the idea. I am also the same, I have a hard time planning meals, I am such a procrastinator! Oh well. That bread sounds SUPER YUMMY!

Cherrie June 5, 2008 at 8:37 PM  

I have been so unmotivated to make dinners for awhile now. I keep thinking we will be moving soon, so I don't buy much groceries. But the sandwiches are getting very old. I love the idea wish I had the motivation to do it. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

meNmykids June 6, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

Good luck with that. I hope you do better than me, without my menu plan we are in trouble. I'm not good at last minute meals.

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.