Warning!!

Has anyone ever heard of Curves for women? A gym just for ladies, sounds great doesn't it? I am hear to warn you about the pitfalls of Curves. I hope someone can learn something from my experience.

In January I joined curves. I loved it. I was very dedicated and made it in almost every day. The manager there was an up beat, energetic gal who was very motivating. She would always visit with us and plan games for us to play while working out.

In June she quit and the tone of our Curves changed dramatically. The new manager was always busy at the computer or putting away clothes. She seemed completely uninterested in the ladies working out. But we all decided to give her a chance to warm up to us. After several weeks, she did finally come over and chat with me once while I was working out. I thought things were improving.

The first week in July, Amanda, the new manager, informed some of the ladies that the Elma location would be closing August 1, 2007. Most of us have our Curves membership taken out of our bank accounts automatically, and Amanda said no more drafts would be taken.

I wasn't one of the members Amanda said this to, and when I went in the following day after hearing this information, I was surprised that once again she was to busy for the customers and said nothing about the store closing. I should have asked, but she seemed very busy so I didn't bother her.

I didn't return to Curves to work out after that, with a busy summer, the news of the store closing, had deflated any want to for exercise.

I was surprised however, when on July 16th Curves took my monthly membership out of my bank account. I went down right away to see if there was some misunderstanding. The girl in Curves at the time was very rude and told me that Curves wasn't closing, they were moving to a new location 10 miles away, but the manager would be in the next day and she would have her call me.

When I talked to Amanda, the manager, the next day( I went in, but she was just about to call me, yeah right) she was very condescending and said they had changed their minds about closing, they were indeed moving. I have a telephone they have my number. None of the members were contacted about this "change," and everyone still had to pay. Well, I won't go into the hairy details of the conversation, but I did give my cancellation in writing so that there wouldn't be anymore confusion. Amanda rolled her eyes and was condescending the entire time, but especially when I told her I was giving my cancellation in writing. She thought I should trust her word that she wouldn't charge me anymore.

I haven't been back for a workout since, but my Curves membership came out of my account again today, August 16. I'm not happy. When will this end?! They have over 30 members who are quitting because of the location move, and if they charge all of them for 2 extra months, that's over $2000.00!! Sounds like they've got a racket going on to me!

I have contacted Curves International over this matter, and I am trying to file a complaint with the BBB. Hopefully I will get some money back!

If you ever join curves, I would suggest paying the monthly payment instead of having it withdrawn automatically. It's about $10.00 more per month, but I have payed $73.00 extra so far. We'll see how next month goes.

I know there are those of you who are battling this along with me, feel free to copy and paste any part of this to form a complaint at www.curves.com

8 I love comments!!:

meNmykids August 16, 2007 at 5:35 PM  

Our complaint will be on its way too. I am really unhappy with the way they are treating us. I hope that this helped cool you down a little?

Kalisha August 17, 2007 at 9:40 AM  

I think curves is just retarded, listening to You, Mom, and Sabriena, and reading this blog.

Kali.

Cherrie August 17, 2007 at 2:00 PM  

I am so sorry, that is very frustrating. I have heard of so many horror stories from different ladies that I never would give them my bank info for any work out place. Hopefully things get better. And good luck on your move.

Marisela August 18, 2007 at 8:00 AM  

That is so dumb! I hope you get your money back. I can't believe they would close/move.

Sabriena August 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM  

I can't believe that in your post, you didn't even mention how this has already happened to A. Laurie when she signed up before. I would have told about that. Obviously it is not just a one time thing. They do it deliberately to get the money. Oh, I tagged you for a middle name tag thing.
P.S. Kind of funny. Mom and Dad just got back from Curves trying to get their money back. They are in the other room talking about it right now, and Dad is very upset about the whole thing. Possibly even more than Mom! You should hear him.

Chantel H August 19, 2007 at 7:48 AM  

Neena
If I had known about Lauries past experience, I would have payed monthly instead of signing up for a year. I may not have even joined. I can tell you I feel pretty done with curves forever now!

Trina August 20, 2007 at 10:43 AM  

How frustrating. However, I have to say that I am impressed that you are staying on top of it. What a complete bummer!!

Jules October 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM  

I also didn't have the best of luck with Curves. I didn't like the fact that kids weren't allowed. Think about it, who is the biggest part of women who need to lose weight? Women with little kids! That gripes me. I mean, yes, they shouldn't be allowed to play around the equiptment. But they had SO much extra space that didn't get used (hardly at all). I mean, LOTS of dressing room. There was like 5 stalls. I always thought they should have built a room with kid toys. But, I don't really care anymore, my kids are in school all day. But I saw an opportunity to vent, so I took it ;)

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.