Being late and forgetful in winter

Winter is NOT my favorite time of year. I absolutely detest being cold, and ice and snow are pretty alright, pretty slippery. A few weeks ago Andy lost control coming around an icy corner and did about 200 dollars worth of damage to the car. Luckily, he just hit a curb and not another car. Since then, we have had 60 degree days and it has been wonderful!



One of the memories I have from winters when we lived here before is when Andy was in kindergarten. School started at 8:20 and it only took 3 minutes to get there, so I would plan on leaving at 8:00. Plenty of time, right? As some of you may know, I am one of those compulsively late people. Not super late, just 5-10 minutes. Late enough that we always manage to arrive at church when they are singing the first song. It doesn't matter what time church starts either, currently we start at 10:00 am, Redmond was 11:00, and Yale was 10:30. So, leaving at 8:00 to take Andy to school always led to 8:05- 8:10. As soon as we stepped out the front door, I would remember that I forgot to start the car, which is a huge problem when your car is covered in 6 inches of ice and snow! I would start the car and frantically scrape and brush the windshield and windows. The car would of course still be freezing cold on the drive to school. For years I have giggled at this memory. Doesn't it always seem funny later?

It was funny that is until it happened again a few weeks ago. It was a morning that I was volunteering at the school and we were running late, of coarse, and when I say we, I mean me because Andy is always ready and waiting on me. He hasn't had single tardy all year (but the morning a few weeks ago would be an end to that!). I was rushing around and when I was finally ready, I opened the front door to a frozen, icy car. Yeah, the memory doesn't seem as funny anymore, but I refuse to take responsibility this time because Andy could have had the car warmed and ready to go instead of whining around waiting on me! It's all his fault! Maybe he won't be so forgetful next time!

12 I love comments!!:

Trina February 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM  

First off, I truly HATE being cold! Being cold makes me a miserable person, so I completely sympathize with your problem. Ugh! And yes, memories of such occasions are always sweeter than we you are CURRENTLY dealing with it...hehehe

meNmykids February 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

I completely agree! Andy should have started the car for you long before you were ready. I'm currently on the late list everywhere I go. Usually this is blamed on a new baby, but I'm without that excuse right now. I think it has more to do with not getting up on time?

Sabriena February 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

And I'm always waiting to start the van, for going to Church. I want it to warm up, but we don't have the ice/snow problem, so I don't want it to idle for unnecessarily long, either. I know we could be ready on time - in fact, we usually are ready on time, but then somebody, I won't mention who, needs to do a bunch of last minute things, so we end up leaving about 15-20 minutes later than I'd like to, which barely gives us time to get to Church before they start the first song. They sometimes start while I'm in the bathroom, and sometimes almost immediately after I sit down. Sigh. But we will get better, I know we will. I just need to be sure that we have all of our stuff ready for Church on Saturday! And Wednesday mornings! LOL. I can sympathize with your lateness.

I'm so glad Andy was fine. Did you tell Mom about that? Because nobody ever said anything about it to me.

Skylene February 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

I don't like being cold either. I much prefer being too warm. But what I like even less is tornado weather. Which we are having right now. Sirens already went off twice today.

Skylene February 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skylene February 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skylene February 10, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

Sorry I messed up your comment page by pushing the button too many times.

Where is my Brain February 11, 2009 at 7:37 AM  

That is good!! I Hate being cold. I like snow when I and my loved ones are INSIDE and WARM enjoying it otherwise it should be summer and WARM!!!

michelle February 12, 2009 at 7:05 AM  

I totally love a warmed up car.We have 3 kids that know how to start it and get the heater going.

Sylvia February 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM  

I think Andy should have warmed the car up. My policy is to always blame the kids for everything. Teala is always ready before everyone. But, it never fails, everyone is in the car and we are waiting on her. I'm not sure how she manages it. She is glaring at me right now. I hate getting out in the cold too.

meNmykids February 18, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

Come on.....post already! Miss you.

michelle February 24, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

Hey just wanted to let you know we are praying for you.

About this blog

Hello and welcome to my blog! I am a stay at home mom and wife who is thankful to the Lord for my many blessings! I love lists and can't fully function unless I am following one, whether it be for groceries, daily errands and chores, or long term goals. I like to share my sometimes comical experiences about cooking and menu planning, being a tightwad, my adorable children, and thoughts on God's plan for me and mine. I love comments and feedback!

I love my Honey!!

I  love my Honey!!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket Photobucket

Samantha

Samantha

Ella

Ella

Andy

Andy
Powered by Blogger.